Multi Tabbed Widget

Camarda Town: the history




Camarda rises in a valley which was previously a huge Pleistocene lake, 600 years ago.
No one lived in this place until the Medieval Age, when the Lombard army forced a large number of citizens of Forcona to move here. In this way, Camarda and other burghs (Assergi, Aragno, Filetto, Paganica) were founded.
A popular legend tells us the name of Camarda is derived from this period. According to the legend some farmers who cultivated these desert fields, stacked many corn shocks here. During that night, Lombard soldiers came down to the valley and burned the shocks. The farmers, woken up by noises and glow, saw the burning shocks and shouted: "Cama ardet, cama ardet!". From the union of the two words, the origins of the name of Camarda.

The first attestation of the name of Camarda is in a official document in 1178, when Alessandro III gave the lands near the Gran Sasso Mountain to Pagano, the bishop of Forcona.

In the XIII century, Camarda was one of the several Castles which founded L'Aquila and built the Saint Mary's neighborhood.

In the following centuries, this town followed the history of L'Aquila, during both the Spanish and French dominations. Many people moved to live in L'Aquila and left the burghs where they were born.

During the Italian National Unity, at the end of XIX century, Camarda became a Commune of its own. But in 1927, its jurisdiction was abolished and Camarda became one of the several burghs in the large Commune of L'Aquila.

Today, Camarda is one of the unknown burghs in Abruzzo, with its culture and its traditions kept alive from an ancient past. Here, the past is always present and the visitor can breathe the perfume of the ancient eternity.


Camarda in a old photo taken from the SS 17 bis road






LASCIA UN COMMENTO:





GUARDA L'ABRUZZO NEI NOSTRI VIDEO!